Category Archives: AppEngine

Reconsidering my Combinators

Since writing my set of function combinators for matching HTTP requests I’ve realised that there are better approaches.

While the combinators read nicely, once you start extracting attributes from the request things become messy, due to the hAnd combinator composing results as nested pairs.

Here’s an example:

skitchPutHandler = let [...]

CAL Hangman on GAE Part 2 — The Datastore

Introduction

My implementation of Hangman has only very simple data storage requirements, so my CAL module Datastore doesn’t cover the entire capabilities of Bigtable.

All the application needs is to be able to save a Game instance, put the key of that instance into a cookie in the user’s browser, and then retrieve and update that instance [...]

CAL Hangman on Google AppEngine, Part 1

This post describes a simple implementation of the game ‘Hangman’, written in CAL for Google Appengine.

Introduction

Hangman is a simple word guessing game — the computer chooses a word, telling you only how many letters it has. You that it contains a particular letter. Correct guesses fill in those letters in the word, until you have [...]

Functional Programming on Google AppEngine

I’ve always hoped that Java would be the next Google App Engine language. Google have provided a solid platform with a ‘real’ JVM and few restrictions.

I deployed the sample application created with the Eclipse plugins a few minutes after my account was upgraded to support Java, and then I went on to deploy an application [...]

Crowd Authentication for Google’s AppEngine

The launch of Google’s AppEngine has given me the obligation to find out what it’s all about, and the opportunity to learn a bit more about one of our products, Crowd — and, of course, pick up some Python along the way.

I began by working through Google’s Guestbook example, and then replaced its use of [...]